20100208

Houston, we have a problem

My intent was to hook up a system (The Energy Detective) to track how much energy our house is using.  Straight out of the box it was a little intimidating - "don't even think about messing with this unless you are a highly skilled electrician, or you will die" kind of warnings everywhere.  The instructions weren't necessarily intuitive but they seemed doable, until I got the front panel off my circuit breaker box (after turning off the power)...


This is a picture of the whole box (rotated 90 degrees CCW but I'm too lazy to fix it):



That just looks ugly!  Here is a closeup of where I need to add some stuff:
Apparently, that big fatty cable is the one I need to get that clamp around.  Then there is another clamp for the cable next to it.  No dice.  I'm no "highly skilled electrician" but it's pretty easy to see that it's dang crowded in there and experience has shown that big fatty cables tend to be less wiggle-able, especially with that short a length (they enter the box in the upper right hand corner) : (

Tomorrow I'll invite my neighbor friend over to see if he can help... he actually is a professional (highly skilled) electrician.

No comments: